Double-Take Availability for Actian/Pervasive PSQL
Get our Double-Take data sheet here.
Are you running Answers On Demand (AOD)? Here is a special summary document for you!
In addition, check out our Success Story from one of your peers.
Running Sabre Airline Solutions applications? We have a special summary document for you, too!
Double-Take Availability Product Information from the Vision Solutions Web Site
Protecting your database is one of the most critical functions that a system administrator needs to consider. The first level of protection is the venerable backup. You can do backups during downtime, or using continuous operations mode, as explained in our most popular white paper. For smaller users of non-critical databases, periodic backups may provide all of the protection that your systems require.
However, for many users, the need for a higher level of protection is clear. Do you have enough downtime available to perform a complete backup every night? Is your database small enough to back up easily using standard backup techniques? Can you afford to lose a day's worth of database changes if a failure occurred? If you cannot say YES to all of these questions, then the Double-Take data replication solutions are for you.
In short, Double-Take offers a fully-automated continuous backup solution for your servers. There are three different Double-Take solutions to consider when protecting your data:
- For your mission-critical systems which require very little data loss and immediate recovery capability, Double-Take Availability is your best solution. Double-Take Availability provides continuous (near real-time) replication of your data to a hot stand-by server, providing a very low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). In the event of a system failure, the stand-by server is immediately ready to stand in for the primary server and take over all operations -- users only need to restart their application. This provides a very low Recovery Time Objective (RTO) as well. (The OS and database need to be separately licensed in this configuration, and for off-site or cloud-based stand-by solutions, some additional application configuration changes may be required as well.)
- For the protection of less-crtitical "tier 2" servers, Double-Take DR may be a more cost-effective solution. Like Double-Take Availability, data changes are replicated as they occur, providing a very low RPO. However, instead of having the data on a target server ready to go at a moment's notice, the data is staged on a target "repository server", which must then be recovered to a new target server when a failure occurs. This recovery process can take some time (depending on the size of the server being protected, as well as the restore target), which means that the RTO is somewhat higher on this solution -- but the costs are substantially lower as well.
- For companies looking to migrate their mission-critical applications from one server environment to another, the Double-Take Move solution makes the life of a system administrator SO much easier. Double-Take Move wraps all of the data replication facilities of Double-Take Availability into a very low cost package for system migrations that will take less than 60 days. This solution can provide near-zero downtime windows for drastic server moves, including virtual, cloud, and even entire data centers!
All of the Double-Take solutions capture data changes on the source server in real time (commonly called continuous data protection, or CDP) and then replicate those data changes to the target server (in the exact order that they were written to the source server). This ensures that your entire PSQL database, as well as all related text files, images and more, will always be an exact "point-in-time" replica to maintain perfect data integrity. Many competing solutions offer file-based replication, which can cause massive data loss or relational integrity issues!
All solutions also offer "any-to-any" capability -- meaning that you can go from physical server to another physical server, physical to virtual, virtual to virtual server, virtual to physical, physical to cloud, cloud to virtual, and so on. This gives you the ability to host your backup data center internally, on a small virtual server host, or up in a cloud-based server environment (which can provide additional replication capabilities).
Does all of this sound way too complicated? Not really. When you are ready to buy and install your Double-Take solution, you simply need to make sure that your installer is familiar with the special needs of PSQL databases to ensure that it gets configured correctly. Goldstar Software includes free configuration time with each license purchased through us, so that we can ensure that your system is configured correctly and that your PSQL database is protected. We also include basic system administrator training, so that you can quickly get comfortable with your disaster-recovery solution and sleep easier at night!
Here are a few other use cases that we have already implemented for our customers:
- Replicate multiple physical servers to a virtual server host, reducing the investment in DR hardware.
- Replicate a physical server to a second physical server on site for high-level fault tolerance, then replicate to an off-site virtual server across a WAN link for complete data center redundancy.
- Replicate from a Windows Server 2008 box running PSQL v10 to a Windows Server 2012 box running PSQL v11 in a new data center 1000 miles away. This customer effectively upgraded data centers, server operating systems, and PSQL database version in one operation -- requiring less than 5 minutes of system downtime!
Do you have any other configurations you want to set up? Let us know what YOU want to do, and we'll work with you to build a configuration that takes care of your data protection needs.
What does this great protection actually cost? Each solution has its own pricing model, of course. Double-Take Availability is the most expensive option, and pricing is dependent on the OS platform (Virtual, Windows Standard, Windows Enterprise, or Windows Datacenter) you are protecting. Pricing for this solution starts under $1000/server, depending on the platform. With Double-Take Availability, each server needs to be licensed, including the target servers. Double-Take DR is substantially less expensive, at under $600 per protected server, with no cost for the target server licenses. Because Double-Take Move is a one-time use license (valid for 60 days), it is the cheapest solution at under $300 per use.
To build your own customized solution and determine accurate pricing, contact Goldstar Software today!