Goldstar Software Utilities: GSSync
Pervasive-to-Any Replication and Data Exporting Tool
GSSync is a Win32 command-line application that is designed to provide Pervasive-To-Any replication capabilities, as well as a host of additional data extraction functionality.
The primary purpose of GSSync is to replicate data from a Pervasive (Btrieve) environment to ANY target environment. When configuring any replication environment, you need to have three basic elements -- the source data and the data definitions, the replication metadata, and the target data.
Source data for GSSync is always a Pervasive database, but we have several options for defining the metadata that describes the data itself:
- Data Dictionary Files: DDF's are the most common source metadata, as they are included with many applications. Using DDF's is quick and easy.
- XML Files: Another metadata option is the XML File. For applications that do not provide DDF's, the XML file definition gives us not only the ability to understand the source data, but we can also support "non-standard" data types.
- None: We can do a Btrieve-to-Btrieve replication with NO metadata!
Replication metadata is the second aspect that we must keep in mind. This is information that tells us which records have been changed on the source database, to make replication more efficient. GSSync supports the following replication metadata options:
- DataExchange: Pervasive's DataExchange tool provides Pervasive-to-Pervasive replication only, but the metadata that it maintains is first-rate and is the most efficient way to track changes to the data.
- Archive Files: Used only for very old database systems, Pervasive Archive files can track changes to file sets as well. These are NOT a good candidate for replication, but it can make it possible to replicate some very old databases which are incompatible with DataExchange.
- GSSync Metadata: For moderate databases running at sites not willing to invest in DataExchange, we can track our own custom metadata by scanning all records during every replication cycle. This is a slower option, but it can be much cheaper and easier than replicating ALL records.
- None: We can also replicate all data every time!
The final aspect of replication is the target environment. GSSync can export data to the following target environments:
- Btrieve: GSSync can write data directly into a target Btrieve file, making a very simple (and incredibly fast) Btrieve-to-Btrieve replication environment.
- UNF Files: Similar to Btrieve files, the ubiquitous UNF file is commonly used by BUTIL to move data between environments.
- CSV Files: Comma-separated-value (also known as comma-delimited) files are commonly used for database imports and exports as well as through simple text files. Data from a CSV can be directly loaded into an Excel spreadsheet, too.
- XML Files: GSSync can export data to one of two XML data formats, which can be helpful when working with replication to other targets that can accept the XML data as a source. XML files are like CSV files, but with some additional information.
- SQL Script Files: GSSync can create SQL statement scripts that replicate the changes. This allows you to export the data to a text file script, compress and transfer the script to the target server, and then execute the script in ANY SQL database.
- Direct to ODBC: GSSync can also send the SQL statements directly to any accessible ODBC data source, allowing for instantaneous Btrieve-to-Any replication!
GSSync also offers a number of data formatting options, including several date and time formats, as well as clean-up for bad text fields, handling of bad date fields, and more. It also offers an ability to filter the data being exported on a numeric expression, enabling you to limit what data is exported through a user-defined function.
As a command line tool, GSSync can easily be scheduled by any command scheduler such as AT or SCHTASKS, included with most operating systems. This allows you to execute replication on whatever schedule you need. Future versions will include a built-in scheduler.
GSSync can be purchased as a single-user license or as a LAN site license. We can also provide licensing information for developers if you are interested in including GSSync with your application to enable replication for your customers. Click the links above, or contact us for more details!