Using Carbonite Products with Actian/Pervasive PSQL Databases
Carbonite has built a solid business on protecting the data of companies and organizations around the globe. With their recent acquisition of the Double-Take Software divison from Vision Solutions, they can now offer rock-solid migration and replication solutions which work extremely well with PSQL databases.
- Replication and Disaster Recovery: For your mission-critical systems which require very little data loss and immediate recovery capability, Carbonite Availability is your best solution. Availability provides continuous (near real-time) replication of your data to a hot stand-by server, providing a very low Recovery Point Objective (RPO). In the event of a system failure, the stand-by server is immediately ready to stand in for the primary server and take over all operations -- users only need to restart their application. This provides an extremely low Recovery Time Objective (RTO) as well. (The OS and database need to be separately licensed in this configuration, and for off-site or cloud-based stand-by solutions, some additional application configuration changes may be required as well.)
- Migration: For companies looking to migrate their mission-critical applications from one server environment to another, the Carbonite Move solution makes the life of a system administrator SO much easier. Move wraps the patented data replication capability of Availability into a very low cost package for system migrations. This solution can provide near-zero downtime windows for drastic server moves, including virtual, cloud, and even entire data centers!
- Tier-3 Server Protection: For the protection of less-crtitical "tier 3" servers that don't require instant-on protection, other solutions are available. After purchasing Double-Take, Carbonite announced that they would discontinue the Double-Take DR product, which is a more cost-effective solution for servers that could withstand lengthy restore timeframes. Like Availability, data changes are replicated as they occur, providing a very low RPO. However, instead of having the data on a target server ready to go at a moment's notice, the data is staged on a target "repository server", which must then be recovered to a new target server when a failure occurs. This recovery process can take some time (depending on the size of the server being protected, as well as the restore target), which means that the RTO is somewhat higher on this solution -- but the costs are substantially lower as well. We will still sell Double-Take DR while it remains available, but no new development is expected on this platform. We will be evaluating the replacement product (eVault) from Carbonite and hope to have it available soon, if it works as expected.
- Cloud Backups for the Office: If you are fine with the less-expensive option of a periodic backup, and you would like a cloud-based solution, then Carbonite Office may be your best place to start.
- Cloud Backups for the Home: Need a low-cost solution to protect your data at home? Check out Carbonite Home instead!
Does all of this sound way too complicated? The myriad of choices can make it confusing, to be sure. However, we'll make it simple for you: Give us a call and we'll talk through your exact needs and help you find the best solution to meet those needs at the lowest price!